The Council decided to debate Parts 1 & 4 but refer the other sections of the motion to the Scrutiny Committee. There were 38 votes for declaring a ‘Climate Emergency and calling on the “Welsh and UK Governments to provide the necessary support and resources to enable effective carbon reductions”, 6 votes against and 6 abstentions.
Notice of Motion relating to Climate Change
To consider the following Notice of Motion:
There is global consensus that climate change poses significant risk to our health, our economy, our environment, and endangers the wellbeing of future generations. On 8th October 2018, the Intergovernmental panel on Climate Change (IPCC) released a vital report on the state of climate science.
They warned that if the planet warmed by 1.5C there would be some devastating consequences, such as the loss of most coral reefs, and increased extreme weather such as heatwaves and floods. Yet the consequences of allowing 2C warming would be truly catastrophic.
Given that the planet is currently heading for 3-4C warming, keeping to 1.5C requires a radical shift across energy, land, industrial, urban and other systems to reduce emissions, unprecedented in history for its speed. Cities, Local Authorities and communities across Wales and the UK are becoming frustrated by governments that are unwilling to take the urgent steps needed, to deal with these issues.
Humanities’ future depends on today’s bold and brave leaders to make the necessary decisions now in order to safeguard the environment, our future and those of generations to come.
Therefore, Pembrokeshire County Council resolves to:
1. Declare a Climate Emergency;
2. Commit to making Pembrokeshire County Council a net zero carbon local authority by 2030;
3. Develop a clear plan for a route towards being net zero carbon within 12 months which is then reported back to council;
4. Call on Welsh and UK Governments to provide the necessary support and resources to enable effective carbon reductions;
5. Work with the Public Services Board and Swansea Bay City Deal partners to develop exciting opportunities to deliver carbon saving;
6. Collaborate with experts from the private sector and 3rd sectors to develop innovative solutions to becoming net zero carbon.?