On 26th June 2019 Hackney Council RESOLVED to:
- Tell the truth about the climate emergency we face, and pursue its declaration of a
climate emergency with the utmost seriousness and urgency.
- Pledge to do everything within the Council’s power to deliver against the stretching
targets set by the IPCC’S October 2018 1.50C Report, across the local authority’s full
range of functions, including a 45% reduction in emissions against 2010 levels by 2030
and net zero emissions by 2040, and seeking opportunities to make a greater
- Call on the UK Government to provide powers and resources to make the 2030 and
2040 targets possible.
- Actively campaign to change national policy where failure to tackle the challenge of
heating our homes without fossil fuels, fossil fuel subsidies, insufficient carbon taxationroad-building, and airports expansion, for example, has actively undermined
decarbonisation and promoted unsustainable growth.
- Support the campaign to create a just transition for workers and users and be part of
the creation nationally of a million public sector climate jobs with particular reference to
extending sustainable accessible and integrated public transport, retrofitting housing
stock, energy democracy, heating and cooling from renewable energy and eco build,
food and waste.
- Involve, support and enable residents, businesses and community groups to accelerate
the shift to a zero carbon world, working closely with them to establish and implement
successful policies, approaches and technologies that reduce emissions across our
economy while also improving the health and wellbeing of our citizens.
- Produce an annual update to Full Council on the progress made against the Council’s
decarbonisation commitments, and conduct an annual Citizens Assembly comprised of
a representative group of local residents to allow for effective public scrutiny the
Council’s progress and to explore solutions to the challenges posed by global warming.
- Work with other local governments (both within the UK and internationally) to determine
and implement best practice methods to limit Global Warming to less